7/5/13

Reach for the Dead

It feels like there's a heatwave on the way in Dublin.

On account of working in a primary school I have the next two months off. This used to feel like forever when I was a child, but the first week has already glided past alarmingly. While I intend to spend some of the time out of doors enjoying the city with my girlfriend and friends, I think I'll be indoors writing for most of the two months. Which is pretty much all I got up to this week.


I wanted to update this blog all week, but the other writing can be exhausting. I'm at a stage where I feel like I'm living inside of it and, no matter where I might be (Aldi, for example), I find my thoughts continually poking and pulling at words to see how they fit. You read all these clichéd things about writing novels, and sort of mentally discount them, yet when you attempt the task yourself it's a surprise to find out that some of them are true. Even if nothing comes of it, publication-wise, I'll benefit from the new ways of thinking the writing of it has gifted to me, some of which I mentioned in my last post. I find my patience has increased too, which is a major thing for me who used to hate delayed gratification in so many aspects of my life. I also notice my own thinking in a healthier and more observant way. I listen in on myself, these days, and I ask myself whether the ways in which I think are good for me or not.

While these are all probably things that come to most of us with age and experience, I'd like to think that they've come, at least in part, from my undertaking a project as big as a novel, the biggest thing I've tried my hand at since my PhD (which was far less daunting, as a matter of fact, because of how well-supported I was by my academic supervisor and research team). Sitting down to work at it every day, gives me a purpose, while the feeling of pushing through from a first draft into a second is very gratifying. It feels great, in fact.

I'll be reading something from my writing at an event called 'Siteation' pretty soon, July 17th. There will be a few other readings from people like myself. Naomi from Harmless Noise organized the event and I think it looks pretty cool. Click here for the facebook event if that sounds interesting and you would like to go. It's going to be somewhere near Smithfield. One of those BYOB 'spaces' that used to be a fruit hanger or something, I'd say.

I won't even pretend to be on trend with music these days, but I've been listening a lot to Boards of Canada's 'Tomorrow's Harvest.' I find it to be a deeply moving and elegiac album, if unsettling. I think they have tried to say something beautiful about death and entropy, to conceptualize these things with subtlety. I think they have succeeded. In that regard, it is in the unlikely position of sharing something with black metal and doom music. This is my favourite track from it.


We've gone from the impending heatwave to the 'cold earth.' I'd say that brings us full circle. Chat to ye soon.

3 comments:

TAD said...

Welcome back. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that reading -- and it would be great to meet you and Naomi. Please send enough cash for a plane ticket....

TAD said...

So how'd the Reading go...?

Gardenhead said...

Hi Tad, it actually went very well. I will tell you all about it in a blog post or by email. Sorry it took so long to authorize the comments.